Estate Planning Services
Compassionate Guidance for Your Estate
Our skilled estate planning attorneys work with individuals, families and business owners in Northern Lake County, SE Wisconsin, and the Chicago area to evaluate and design thorough estate and tax planning strategies. We work closely with our clients to minimize tax implications, protect finances, and provide for beneficiaries.
Why Estate Planning is Critical
At Merit Law Group, our team encourages clients to consider having at least a basic estate plan. Estate plans safeguard your finances and assets for yourself and loved ones. A carefully constructed estate plan also provides a clear understanding about managing your life if you become incapable of making your own decisions. Our attorneys will determine your needs and provide sound guidance on the best documents and plans based on your scenario.
The Basics of Estate Planning
The Merit Law Group team can create custom wills and trust agreements to address a client’s family circumstances and specific concerns. Our committed estate planning lawyers are responsive and can expertly handle simple wills or a series of more complicated trusts. With experience in all facets of estate planning, Merit Law Group provides counsel and solutions on a range of matters, including, but not limited to:
- Wills – Considered the foundational element of an estate plan, this legal document ensures your wishes are recognized and followed.
- Trusts – A legal tool that addresses a specific concern, such as minimizing taxation or provisions for a minor.
- Powers of Attorney for healthcare and property – Allows you to appoint the person you’d like to manage critical decisions on healthcare and/or finances.
- Deeds in Trust – An agreement between a lender and borrower that designates a neutral third party as the trustee of a property.
- Quit Claim Deeds, Codicils and Land Trusts
How to Avoid Probate Court
If you don’t have any type of estate plan, your estate can land in probate. Probate is a court process that results in additional time and expenses. Once in probate, the court needs to sign off on every step, such as a request to repair real estate. In addition, with your estate tied up in probate court, your family may not have ready access to funds to cover utilities for your home or funeral costs. We strongly recommend planning in advance and saving your family the time, money and frustrations of ushering an estate through probate.
Let Merit Law Group Help You Prepare for the Future
Merit Law Group is here to address any questions you may have about estate planning, estate tax questions, wills, appointing an executor or making amendments to an existing will. Please connect with us today to protect your estate for yourself and your loved ones.